Approximately one billion valentine cards are sent each year, making Valentine’s Day the second largest card-sending holiday of the year! Once reserved for sweethearts, Valentine’s day has now become a popular holiday celebrated in schools and offices around the world. Children give Valentine notes and treats to their friends and teachers, while professional colleagues exchange cards. Elementary school children partake in parties, while teens hold dances and sell flowers for school fundraisers.
Amid the celebration, Valentine’s Day is also a fun holiday for creating special foods and crafts. There are many easy things you can do to jazz up your child’s (or your own) lunch at this time of year. Check out this section for fun foods, crafts, and even party foods!
Start off the day right
Make plans for a special family breakfast on Valentine’s Day morning. Some ideas for making this an extra special breakfast:
- Have everyone share something they love about someone else at the table
- Make some heart-shaped foods (poached eggs, pancakes) with molds available from our store
- Use red placemats and napkins, with small red candles at each place
Buy some affordable cloth napkins and make a Valentine’s Day craft with them. After you make your napkins, use a permanent Sharpie marker to inscribe a personal message!
- Materials Needed: Napkins, heart stamp, fabric pens
- Instructions: Use the fabric pen to color the heart stamp. Press the heart stamp into the napkin to leave a colored heart on it. When switching colors, use stamp cleaner to wipe the stamp clean.
Involve your child
Children love to help cook, even in the smallest of ways. Have them help “dump” ingredients, stamp out heart-shaped sandwiches, or anything in between. They’ll love that they had the quality time as their food was prepared, and enjoy it even more when they open their lunchbox on Valentine’s Day and consume their creations!
Mix it up
As a supplement to your normal lunch packing equipment, look around for something extra special. You might like Mamamade’s re-usable snack and sandwich bags, which are the perfect size for snacks like crackers, cereal, cookies, apples, grapes, even sandwiches, celery, carrots and more. Best of all, they’re waterproof and machine washable!